- One apple costs 33.2 gallons of water. Apple Juice costs 301.2 gallons per gallon of Apple Juice, and one glass cost 60 gallons of water.
- One tomato costs 13.2 gallons.
- One orange costs 13.2 gallons of water. One Glass of orange juice costs 45 gallons of water
- Organics is the fastest growing food segment, increasing 20% annually.
- In 1970, the top five beef packers controlled about 25% of the market. Today, the top four control more than 80% of the market.
- In 1970, there were thousands of slaughterhouses producing the majority of beef sold. Today there are only 13.
- Prior to renaming itself an agribusiness company, Monsanto was a chemical company that produced, among other things DDT and Agent Orange.
- In 1996 when Monsanto introduced round-up ready soybeans, the company controlled only 2% of the U.S. soybean market. Now, Over 90% of soybeans in the U.S. contain Monsanto’s patented gene.
- In 1972, the FDA conducted 50,000 food safety inspections. In 2006, the FDA conducted only 9,164.
- During the Bush administration, the head of the FDA, Lester M. Crawford Jr., was the former executive VP of the National Food Processors Association.
- The average Chicken farmer (with two poultry houses) invests over $500,000 and makes only $18,000 a year.
- Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas was an attorney at Monsanto from 1976to1979. After his appointment to the supreme court, Justice Thomas wrote the majority opinion in a case that helped Monsanto enforce its seed patents.
- Approximately 32,000 hogs a day are killed in Smithfield Hog Processing Plant in Tar Heel, N.C, the largest slaughterhouse in the world.
- The modern supermarket stocks, on average, 47,000 products, most of which are being produced by only a handful of food companies.
- About 70% of processed foods have some genetically modified ingredients.
- The SB63 Consumer Right to know measure, requiring all food derived from cloned animals to be labeled as such, passed the California state legislature before being vetoed in 2007 by Governor Schwarzenegger, who said that he couldn’t sign a bill that pre-empted federal law.
- According to the American Diabetes Association, 1 in 3 Americans born after 2000 will contract early onset diabetes. Among minorities, the rate will be 1 in 2.