Nutritional Value of Each Tortilla
- 84 calories
- 0 fat
- 233mg sodium
- 19g carbohydrates
- 2g sugar
- 1g fiber
- 3g protein
Default Dough Ingredients
- 525 grams water (80°F)
- 20 grams kosher salt
- 200 grams active sourdough starter
- 700 grams all purpose flour
- large bowl
- dutch oven
- plastic wrap
Check your Starter
- Add 1 teaspoon of starter to a cup of 80°F water it should float.
Make The Dough
- Pour525 grams water (80°F) into a large bowl.
- Add 200 grams sourdough starter to the water and mix thoroughly with a whisk or by hand until the floating cloud of starter is mixed completely into the water
- Note: The starter should float even in the large quantity.
- Add the flour to the leavened water and mix with the dough bowl scraper or other spatula. At the end use wet hands to form a shaggy dough ball.
Autolyse Phase (Self Digestion)
- Let it rest 1-4 hours.
- Add the salt to the bread dough. Use your hands to pinch and stretch the dough gently until the salt is mixed into the dough.
Get Those Air Bubbles
- Pull the dough from under the dough ball up and stretch it gently as you pull it over the dough ball top. Release. Rotate around the bowl until the dough is stretched and pulled from each quarter of the bowl.
- Repeat Step 1 every 30 minutes 4 more times.
- The dough will change from a slimy ropy mass to a billowy dough with many air pockets and definite body as you stretch and fold it.
- The dough should become an elastic resilient dough that passes the window pane test. IF your dough is still breaking before it goes transparent when pulled. Do ANOTHER stretch and fold.
Get More Air Bubbles
- Allow the dough to rise in a large deep bowl at room temperature for 1 hour (or until it rises by 30%).
- Cover the bowl of dough with a plastic bag and set it in the fridge for 12 – 15 hours.
- Why? It should continue to rise slowly so give it room in the bowl and you want to capture the moisture so plastic wrap will keep in the moisture.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let it sit on the counter in the bowl for 2 hours or until the dough reaches room temperature.
- Why? The dough will soften and gently rise as it warms.
Tortilla Making Time
- Cut the dough into 30 even balls.
- Roll the dough as thin and evenly as possible
- Put large skillet on high heat
- Place thin dough on skillet and flip when air bubbles rise.
- Pull off skillet when air bubbles rise on backside